Here is a collection of resources that will hopefully be helplful to anyone who wants to know more about “The Great Dharani”.
• Lokesh Chandra’s book-length study of the Great Dharani: “Thousand-armed Avalokitesvara”:
• Lokesh Chandra paper: “Origin of Avalokitesvara of Potala”:
• Another Lokesh Chandra paper: “Origin of Avalokita-svara/Avalokite-svara”:
Great Compassion Repentence
• Chün-fang Yü’s “Kuan-yin : the Chinese transformation of Avalokitesìvara”, especially Chapter 7: “The Ritual of Great Compassion Repentance”.
• “Great Compassion Repentance Service” in pdf format (with Chinese characters, transliteration, and English translation:
• Great Compassion Repentance 大悲懺 – Guan Yin Session (City of Ten Thousand Buddhas):
The Great Compassion Dharani Sutra
• The Great Compassion Dharani Sutra by Zhili:
• “The Sutra on the Dharani of the Vast, Complete, and Unobstructed Great Compassion of the Bodhisattva Avalokite§vara with a Thousand Hands and a Thousand Eyes” by William J. Giddings (Chapter 26 in “Buddhism and Medicine : An Anthology of Premodern Sources“, ed. C. Pierce Salguero, Columbia University Press, 2017)
Commentaries / Translations
• An abridged and edited version of Hsuan Hua’s commentary on the Great Dharani:
• “The Litany of the Great Compassionate One” Rev. Master Koten Benson
A series of talks given by Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse Rinpoche, in Seoul in July 2017, on “Compassion, Avalokiteshvara and the Thousand Hands Sutra 悲心、觀音與《千手經》”:
This site has the Korean version of the Great Dharani with both Hanja and Hangul and the “Sanksrit”: